Of Sentiments, Insanity, and Heartbreak: Life for me is Beautiful; in it is where I hold my Happiness as my Morality, as my Purpose...

Saturday, June 24, 2006

Friendship has no National Boundaries

I submitted this to Dean An Lim for the 100 Essays...


“No goodbyes to be said, only see you again”. These were my exact words to my new found Chinese friends on the day before we left Hangzhou. I don’t exactly know what my words meant by then, whether it was just uttered to compose my overflowing melancholy of leaving behind the place I considered my home or just to pacify my downhearted feeling of not seeing again the people who treated me so nice and accepted me despite the racial differences. No. I would definitely be back to Hangzhou – heaven on earth- by all means.

I said to myself that I would keep my relationship to the Chinese students on professional level, since I was their Foreign Teacher Assistant. No emotional attachments if possible, but I failed. I failed to keep it that way since I was totally swept off by their warm and incomparable appreciation of who I am. Okay. I have emotional attachments with them. Then, I told myself that I would limit that affecting connection in such a way I would not be longing to see them after we left, again, I failed. Tears ran down my cheeks when we traversed our way to the Shanghai Pudong airport from their university. My tears were sign of my deep affection for them and my positive reception of who they are.

I don’t know how to capture all the memories we all made together. There were times when I found myself in stillness and reminiscing the moments I was with them. The laughter we had that echoed in their dormitories, the almost endless chats about my and their culture, the never-ending question and answer portion, and the long walks in their campus. All these and more were my blissful experiences with them. All I could do is to look back to these memoirs and look forward to the chance of going back to their place again.

While still there, I thought fearfully of how I am going to maintain the connection that we have. I was dead-scared of losing that connection, actually, of losing them. I did what was proper, which was to list down their e-mail addresses and mobile numbers. I am indebted so much to technology since I won’t lose touch with my friends in Hangzhou. I gave them my word that I would be sending them messages as often as possible. Wide smiles flashed on their faces when they heard that, my heart then was overwhelmed.

When I arrived home on the same day we left China, I immediately checked my e-mail and I would like to share the original messages they sent me (never mind their lapses in grammar): These were just some of the email messages that I received from my friends who study at Zhejiang Gongshang University, in the City of Hangzhou, Province of Zhejiang, in the People’s Republic of China.

Dear Marc!
Hello, I'm James. Have you got home? Are you tired during the travel.Maybe you are sleeping now.
I'm happy with you during these days. I think that you're a energic boy. Sometimes I'm incommunicative because because I don't kowe you well.Infact,I'm very voluble when I talk with my friends.I hope you will be my friend.
On the night of tuesday,we played games ,sang and danced together.I'm very happy that night and I will put these memorize in my heart.
Wish you and your parents healthy !
Best wishes!
Yours James
"Æ¥ÀÇ Æß" ilovecaiye@yahoo.com.cn

Dear Marcky
I hope you are well. Fist, I should say sorry to you. I didn`t take part in the next two conversation with you and my classmates. I even didn`t attend the party you and your friends` farewells. I`m really very sorry.Please forgive me.
Could you listen to my explanation ? Those days my good friend come to see me. He study in a very good university in shanghai .We haven`t seen each other for almost one year since we gratituded from High school. I missed him very much. I must see him .
Now, I want to thank you .The days we spent together were one of the happist time of my life .My classsmates and I are all miss you so much.
Personally speaking, I don`t want our relatonship to be teacher and student. I want to make friends with you .You are not the only foreigner who I see. But in my eyes, you are a very lovely boy. You have bright smile and hurmous action . You are the same age as I. Perhaps you can be my elder brother if you want.
I `m soryy to say that I must stop. The class will begain. I must go. Could you tell me your QQ number ? Mine is 125825998.
Waiting for your letter .May you everything goes well.
Best wishes to you .

Yours Celia ÇÚ ½ª"

Dear Marc
I am sorry.The first day when you leaved,I sent an E-mail to to you but not succeed,because of wrong E-mail address.
During these days ,we fell very happy with you .The first time we meet you ,we know you are very friendly and humorus. I regard you as my elder brother and I will put these memories into my heart.this time I sent some photoes of scenery that in CHINA to you .
I hope we could meet again.May be there are some grammar mistakes in this E-mail,I beg your pardon.
Best Wishes for you and your family!
Yours Bruce hongze1986@163.com

Dear marc:
How are you? The final examination is coming, so all of us are busy preparing for it.
I miss you very much. I miss your charming eyes, your voice, you smile, your tears. I am very sorry I didn’t see you off on the day you left. I just hate the feeling of parting, I don’t want to cry or see your tear again. I will remember your big smile that night. That night is the most unforgettable time that we spent. Those interesting small games we played that night are games that we played in our childhood. That night I felt I had fount my lost innocence. You made me felt like to be a child again. We sang and danced. I really want to say: thank you, Marc!
It’s a pity that the time we stay together was so short. The first time we saw you, we felt nervous and we felt the way we treat you wasn’t good enough. Our English teacher said you were a sunny boy. In addition, I think you are a very lovely big boy. Do you know the last time I saw you appeared at the gate of our classroom, how sad and happy I was! Because that meant you would left soon. My eyes also were full of tears. I knew I cried, for you, for a foreign friend’s left. Maybe we will never see each other again. But I will remember and believe your words that we will see each other soon.
I am waiting for you to come to China again. What’s more, I haven’t got your phone number, could you tell me? I’m waiting for your response eagerly.
Wish you all the best!
Yours Daisy

I had an indescribable feeling when I read their messages; it was truly a mixture of emotions. The bond that connects us is beyond explanation. At first, I thought I would have difficulties dealing with them because of the many barriers, especially in the language. But now, I know that barriers are not really barriers, since we emerged as friends and overpowered the differences that we embrace.

Though it would only take two hours and a half going to Shanghai from Manila by airplane, then three hours of bus ride from Shanghai to Hangzhou. Comparing it here, it’s just like going to Baguio City. But it is still far. It is still another land. We may be separated geographically and we may just reach one another through technology, but I could sense genuine friendships that make my heart celebrate.

I am a Filipino. They are Chinese. We are Friends. Friendship knows no national boundaries.

No comments: